Saturday 23 June 2007

Progress!

The big news is that John made HUGE progress! And, I am very happy to say that I told you so! You see, all week John has been freaking out saying that he cant sail in the difficult choppy conditions. Meanwhile, I have maintained that it was a problem with the foil set up and not his sailing. Well, surprise, surprise - I was right! And I even got an apology from him after all the grumbles what would I know etc.

The consequence of a broken centreboard yesterday meant that he had to get a new one - and it works like a dream!!! No somersaults at all today! Very happy.

While John was having a successful day sailing, The Panda, Ipod and I went for an adventure...

Fist stop was Malcesine with Scott and John to buy boat stuff and have a coffee. Beautiful little town on the lake.

Then after dropping the boys back at the club, I took off towards the other end of the lake.

Next stop was Garda (the town) where I indulged in looking at the local market and the town.

Then onto Lazise which was unplanned because all the guide books don't give it much of a mention. But as I drove past it was so beautiful - a walled city on the edge of the lake. I walked through the streets while eating my watermelon gelato.

Final stop for the day was Sirmione. It is on a thin spit of land that juts out into the lake. There are hot springs there which have attracted people to this spot for centuries. I explored the the Roman ruins of Grotte di Catullo, the Old Town and Castle Rocca Scaligera.

One thing that is striking is the difference between the North and South ends of the Lake.

Up North where we are staying in Torbole (near Riva), there are huge mountains all around and the Lake itself is extremely deep.

Down South the countryside is quite flat and the Lake is shallow. Also, it is quite built up with a lot more people.

Well, that pretty much sums up the day apart from dinner with John and Scott which is non-stop Moth talk..

1 comment:

Abrahams said...

When will John realise that he's wrong far more often than he's right?! He also smells. Way to go Alex! Love Dan